[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:27:32 UTC 2012

On 1 July 2012 23:17, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org> wrote:

> IMO, applications support linked data, storage servers do not. Asking
> if a storage server supports linked data is a bit like asking whether
> a certain hard drive supports pdf. :)
>
> Having said that, there are always connotations, and that is probably
> what you are both referring to - so for instance, if you ask if the
> remoteStorage protocol supports ACLs based on client-side
> certificates, or SPARQL queries, the answer is no.
>
> We are however in the process of writing the data module for the
> client-side library (remoteStorage.js), and they will all use linked
> data at their core (specifically, json-ld).

I do agree that it's useful to have client side data in structured form.

However, it's more important to have structured data on back end.

If remotestorage is simply going to put a blob in a location ... ie the
equivalent of autosave ... it's going to be a very useful tool for some web
apps, but it makes little sense on a freedombox, imho.

Consider modern (or even less modern) databases.  They can handle a blob in
a field.  But it's much better to use a table with fields, as this enables
querying, cross referencing, federation and all those good things.

I can see a great dyndns solution being VERY valuable to freedombox.  If
pagekite can provide that, it's a huge win.