[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Marc marc at let.de
Mon Jul 9 13:05:04 UTC 2012

2012/7/9 Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net>

> Hi Marc,
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Marc <marc at let.de> wrote:
> > There are several open source registies out there:
> >
> > http://let.de/index.php/the-search-for-a-registry-solution-experiences-of-a-small-cctld/
> >
> > Why certs ? Every twitter or facebook app works with an api key , why not
> > simply use somethign like that ?
>
> Not sure which problem you are trying to solve here, you should
> clarify. Whether a DNS registry is open source or not is largely
> irrelevant, if you need a domain you need someone to provide you with
> it - unless you plan to run your own TLD, we're obviously not all
> going to do.

hi Bjarni

Ok, thats the centralised alternative, If we build our own Network
with a lets call it
" Freedombox Grid" We could use our own DNS and we are not dependent
on any other controlled DNS registry , so everybody could register a
http://whatever  adress to reach each freedombox.

> > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/uia/

> However, at first glance UIA doesn't appear useful for folks who want
> to take part in the "legacy" public web, as the addresses it allocates
> are cryptographic hashes which they generally represent to the OS as
> part of the IPv6 pool reserved for link-local (so completely
> non-routeable).

If you take a close look you will see its build on apple bonjour
,zeroconfiguration, NAT-PmP
and could run on any mobile device.

this is another project with the same approach:

The MyNet Project is a collaboration between the Nokia Pervasive
Computing Group and the MIT UIA team (UIA=User Information
Architecture). It is clear that personal devices such as mobile
phones, digital music players, personal digital assistants, console
gaming systems, and digital cameras have become commonplace in the
lives of ordinary people. We believe that as these intelligent and
networking capable devices proliferate - security, ease of use and
peer-to-peer connectivity will become increasingly important.

 http://research.nokia.com/page/51

I believe that DNS is the most important thing of the project !

just my 2 cents

Greetings

--
Marc Manthey