[Freedombox-discuss] uImage and uInitrd ?

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Fri Jul 13 23:47:38 UTC 2012

Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello at gmail.com> writes:

> Which kernel file and which initrd file does the Dreamplug actually boot
> with a freedom-maker generated image?

Note that this is in active transition.  About a week ago here at
Debconf12 in Nicaragua, Hector Oron and I succeeded in getting the
flash-kernel package in Debian updated to work with the Dreamplug and
recent Debian pre-built kirkwood kernel image packages.

All the right pieces are now in Debian testing, which means the upcoming
Debian 'wheezy' stable release will "just work" on the Dreamplug!

Ian Campbell just helped us get the right changes worked out for
debian-installer, but since they're about to drop a beta release we're
going to wait to push those changes into the tree.  However, by the time
wheezy "beta2" comes out, it should be possible to use debian-installer
to install Debian on a Dreamplug using all the usual methods.

This is a huge.  I can't thank all the people who have helped us get to
this point over the last year enough!

A "fresh" uboot is required.  The bits available in the Debian u-boot
package are sufficiently fresh, and the "recipe" for installing bits on
a Dreamplug will be updated soon.

> Or I guess more specifically I am asking why the uInitrd from freedom-maker
> is not in the image.

Coming soon will be a freedom-maker commit from me that finally drops
all pre-built uImage and uInitrd files from the source tree, as with the
above work, they should no longer be necessary.  I still need to finish
testing the process of generating all the right /boot files in the
cross-build environment, though.

Regards,

Bdale