[Freedombox-discuss] What do people think of horde?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Jul 14 16:05:22 UTC 2012

On 12-07-14 at 04:27pm, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Was wondering if many people here have much experience of horde as a
> webmail client.

Yes. I've used the mail part (IMP) for about 10 years now.

Users were generally happy with it.  I was always worried if the PHP
code would some day explode in my face.

> Horde seems quite nice in that it has a calender, contact manager,
> notes and file manager.  ( demo: http://demo.horde.org/login.php )
>
> Could it be a good match for freedombox?
>
> AFIAK squirrel and roundcube are the two main alternatives.

Check the options at http://wiki.debian.org/Groupware .

If webmail-only tools like Roundcube and Squirrelmail count, then
there's also now CiderWebmail, which is not PHP.

I am currently replacing Horde/IMP with CiderWebmail on all servers I
admin, to get rid of PHP completely!