[Freedombox-discuss] PHP Alternatives?

Matt Platte mp at oldabilenetown.org
Sun Jul 15 23:07:55 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:26:54AM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 15 July 2012 03:08, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, since there is a lot of concern about including PHP on the
> >

> What's are the issues with PHP?

I'm one of those in-a-hurry developers Jonas mentions. He is absolutely
correct; listen to him.  I left PHP for Ruby (on Rails) precisely
because I *know* how sloppy I am thus it seemed way more responsible for
me to jump to Ruby (or Perl or ...) despite the real cost of re-tooling
my aging brain.

Running my own two servers at home, I'm more worried about Apache/PHP
exploits than I'm worried about Apache/Phusion/Ruby. Absolutely
non-scientific woo-mongering, I know, but that's where I'm at.

Right now I'm jacking around with a mail server on one of the machines,
something I really shouldn't be doing considering my skill level, but
there are precious few alternatives at the moment.