[Freedombox-discuss] PHP Alternatives?

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:06:04 UTC 2012

In his 2010 Keynote at The Next HOPE, Dan Kaminsky pointed out the
following:

"The bottom-line is that there just isn't a largemeasurable difference
in the security posturesfrom language to language or framework
toframework --specifically Microsoft ASP Classic,Microsoft .NET, Java,
Cold Fusion, PHP, and Perl. Sure in theory one might be
significantlymore secure than the others, but when deployedon the Web
it's just not the case."
- --Jeremiah Grossman, CTO, White HatSecurity
(a guy who has audited a lot of web  applications)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33001026/Interpolique

And Dan Kaminsky and Jeremiah Grossman are not the only two security
guys who have come to this conclusion.

Sure, PHP isn't my favorite language... but blaming bad code on PHP, and
assuming that changing the language is a panacea for security, is pretty
silly. I've seen bad code in nearly every language I've ever
encountered. Even in the Haskell world you can find examples of bad,
insecure code. PHP isn't inheirently impossible to secure, most of the
vulnerabilities people find in the PHP webapps are things that could
affect webapps written in _any_ language, not something inheirent to the
PHP platform.