[Freedombox-discuss] Booting Guruplug with self-built image

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:34:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:30:58 +0400, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello at gmail.com> wrote:
> So with a recent and clean Debian Wheezy, I was able to run freedom-maker
> (latest version from Nick's repository), however I still had a few issues..
>
> Running freedom-maker under Debian Squeeze didn't work at all for me, lots
> of errors, only Wheezy worked.

Odd, I build it on a Squeeze system.

> Glad to see the projects-chroot.sh reference in bin/finalize was changed to
> projects-chroot, that had also confused me in the past :)
>
> I still had to manually copy the kernel/uInitrd file to /boot, I don't know
> why freedom-maker doesn't copy it.

That's fixed, sorry.

> I WAS finally able to boot my Guruplug with the self-built image on a USB
> stick:

> However I am still not sure if the image built correctly after all, e.g. I
> got the following when trying to start Plinth:
>
> $ ./plinth.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./plinth.py", line 6, in <module>
>     import cfg
> ImportError: No module named cfg
>
> Which makes me wonder if my self-built image is okay, or if something went
> wrong.
>
> Is Plinth supposed to start automatically when the FreedomBox boots, or do
> you have to start it manually?

For now, you still need to ``make`` it, first.  I think that's in
Plinth's README.  I've been meaning to make it do that while building
the image, but haven't had a chance.  You can look in the
freedom-maker/projects and freedom-maker/projects-chroot files if you're
inspired.

Nick