[Freedombox-discuss] Booting Guruplug with freedombox-unstable_2012.0714.img

Markus Sabadello markus.sabadello at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 07:09:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:29:36 +0400, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> > So I am still trying boot my Guruplugs with a FreedomBox image :)
> >
> > I copied Nick's recent freedombox-unstable_2012.0714.<
> http://goog_1983890326>
> > img <https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/> to a USB stick, and booted
> > the Guruplug by typing this in U-Boot:

> > I don't really understand.. I tried it with different USB sticks and with
> > different Guruplugs.
> >
> > Apparently I am able to boot a self-built image (see other email), but
> not
> > this one...
>
> The image on the website isn't meant to go on a USB drive.  It's meant
> to be copied directly to an SD card, so it doesn't need a JTAG to boot.
> I'll add a USB drive image this week.  The Freedom Maker README should
> explain these details.  Please let me know if something isn't clear in
> them.

I was just wondering why 2 different targets (dreamstick and microSd) are
needed, considering they are so similar. Looking at the Makefile closer,
the only differences I see are:
1. The kernel/ files are only copied for microSd, but not for dreamstick.
2. The boot/ mount in fstab is changed from sdc1 to sda1 for microSd, but
not for dreamstick.
3. The /sbin/copy2dream is removed for microSd, but not for dreamstick.
4. The /etc/init.d/first-run is removed for dreamstick, but not for microSd.

1. I think is an actual bug (see other message)
2. I think is also a bug, but doesn't matter much, because you're loading
the uImage and uInitrd via U-Boot, so it doesn't matter if /boot gets
mounted or not. Would still be nice I think.
3. Makes total sense of course.
4. I think this is ultimately why a microSd-image-loaded-on-USB-stick
 doesn't work.

Actually, after removing /etc/init.d/first-run, I WAS able to boot the
image from your website from USB! Yay.