[Freedombox-discuss] Would you sign a key with a pseudonymous keyholder name?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jul 19 08:25:05 UTC 2012

On 12-07-19 at 02:09pm, Fifty Four wrote:
> So, under what conditions would you give a Level 3 signing to a
> pseudonymous name on a key? I assume a Level 3 signing means Full
> validity?

Policies for keysigning is bound to the communities that use them.  For
Debian the purpose of keysigning is to ensure linkage between digital
identity with a physical and legal identity: a passport is a strong
identifier there and pseudonyms are pretty much by definition going
against the very purpose of the aim for keysigning there.  It would in
that context require some alternative strong measure of tying a virtual
person to a legal/physical person - and I am not sure I would ever sign
a pseudonym key for the context of Debian.

I can easily imagine getting involved in a different community where the
purpose of keysigning would be to tie to virtual identities strongly
together - independent from - or perhaps even actively separated from -
physical or legal ones: a passport is a much weaker or even bad
identifier there.

As I understand it, the "levels" I assing to a signature are for my own
private bookkeeping, not part of the signature so not published if the
signature gets published, so levels are less of a concern here (only
relevant for revealing you if our enemy got access to private parts of
my GPG key, which would have much worse uses than read "rankings" of
signatures issued by me.