[Freedombox-discuss] 'Adaptive Radio': The Next Big Thing in Wireless?

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:30:13 UTC 2012

As a Radio Amateur with allocated spectrum, I shy about this approach.
Mainly because you could end up with a totally jammed spectrum with devices
continuously attempting to connect.  Most of the lower frequencies are used
and won't be available for this, but in large metro areas I don't think the
numbers of devices could be computed realistically to reflect what would
happen.  It would be a mega amount of corporations going for 'unallocated'
air.  People, like me, with electronic implants that keep them alive may
not accept this well.  To add to this, I don't think we have the medical
knowledge to say what affect on our health would be.  It usually takes many
decades to determine health risk.  Even cell phones have not been around
long enough to determine health problems.  Remember most of the kids now
have them from birth, what affects will there be at age 50? I see adults
holding phones up to babies to hear someone.  Nobody has had 50 years of
low micro wave transmission next to their head.

Sorry if this is off topics, but thought I needed to reply...

Jack