[Freedombox-discuss] Website suggestions

Alberto Fuentes alberto.fuentes at qindel.com
Thu Jun 14 08:17:09 UTC 2012

On 06/14/2012 01:44 AM, Sam Tuke wrote:
> The Freedom Box project is not about people who already use Freedom
> Boxes. It is about bringing freedom to people who don't already have it.
> We have to get their attention before they can get involved. To this end
> I suggest that:
>
> 1. https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/ is redesigned to be more
> appealing. http://www.gnome.org may provide some inspiration.
>
> 2. Discussion and brainstorming moves away from mailing lists. Mailing
> lists are generally not user friendly to browse and participate in.
> Casual readers never get as far as a list where action is actually
> taking place. Something with an attractive web interface would encourage
> more contributions.
>
> Overall https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/ is not inviting in my
> view. It needs to be in order to fulfill the project's goal of gaining
> widespread interest and use. I realise these are early days and that
> focus probably lies elsewhere at present.
>
> But presentation is important, even for developers (look at the work
> that GitHub puts into design and interaction). Visitors won't get the
> politics or software if they don't make it past the first page.
>
> Perhaps a web sprint is in order?

I do like mailing lists. I dislike forums.

It did took me a deep dig to found where to buy a dreamplug

http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/GettingStarted

Ive told people about freedombox and the all asked me where to buy it
after reading some of my links (fundation and wiki alike).

Sure, you cant buy a freedombox yet, but you do can buy a dreamplug
(recommended hardware right now) with debian preinstalled...

Also a way to start hacking (vm with same specs that dreamplug or
dreamplug alike). I say same specs since i found some cpu constrains
using dreambox that i maybe not had noticed using a vm. This is my first
arm plug machine and in my case for example found out that rtorrent web
guis are not usable at all in the real hardware.

my 2 cents...

greets!