[Freedombox-discuss] WiFi

James Valleroy james.valleroy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:06:27 UTC 2012

So far I have gotten the interface to show up, and broadcast an SSID in AP
mode. I am not able to connect to it yet though. Here's what I did:

1. Start with a Dreamplug file system built with freedom-maker.

2. Check the interface uap0:
root at freedombox:/home/fbx# dmesg | grep uap
uap_probe: vendor=0x02DF device=0x9104 class=0 function=1
uap_probe: uap_add_callback failed
uap_sdio: probe of mmc0:0001:1 failed with error -1
root at freedombox:/home/fbx# ifconfig uap0 up
uap0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

3. Download and install the firmware from GlobalScale:
(Note: The download link below came from here:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=5847.0 )
root at freedombox:~# apt-get install unzip uaputl
root at freedombox:~# wget
http://spinifex.net/plugs/downloads/dreamplug/clwifi_modules_2_6_38_8.zip
root at freedombox:~# unzip clwifi_modules_2_6_38_8.zip
root at freedombox:~# cp -r mrvl/ /lib/firmware/mrvl/

4. Reboot, then bring up the interface:
root at freedombox:/home/fbx# dmesg | grep uap
uap_probe: vendor=0x02DF device=0x9104 class=0 function=1
root at freedombox:/home/fbx# ifconfig uap0 up

5. Use uaputl to configure the AP, by following the instructions here:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_GuruPlug_to_be_a_WiFi_Access_Point

fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl bss_stop
BSS stopped!
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_ssid "freedombox"
SSID setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_protocol 32
protocol setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_wpa_passphrase "freedombox"
WPA passphrase setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_wpa_passphrase
WPA passphrase = freedombox
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_cipher 8 8
cipher setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_channel 0 1
Channel setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl sys_cfg_radio_ctl 0
Radio setting successful
fbx at freedombox:~$ uaputl bss_start
BSS started!

At this point it seems like a client can connect, but does not obtain an IP
address. There are instructions on that page for setting up routing and
udhcpd, but I'm not familiar enough with that process to troubleshoot it.

Note that I am configuring the AP as a normal user, not root user. This
means that the following issue has *not* been fixed:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/05/msg00082.html

Also this raises questions such as:
1. Why is the extra firmware required?
2. Can we include it?
3. Should it be merged into firmware-libertas?
I don't know enough about firmware or how it's packaged in Debian to answer
these questions.