[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Testing 2012.0617 Image Published

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Tue Jun 19 01:43:26 UTC 2012

> This is the path I'd like to explore for developing Freedombox tools -- the ability to communicate off the grid using point-to-point with routing beyond to some remote 3rd party.
>
> Are there WiMAX add-on boards which do the same (for longer distances)?

I strongly suggest using *wires* rather than wireless, whenever possible.

You can trivially push a gigabit of traffic through an Ethernet cable
that can stretch from one apartment to another, or from one house to
another along a fence.  And this gigabit won't conflict or compete with
any other traffic you're handling to other neighbors, nor compete with
wireless nodes.

With a couple of readily available converter boxes, you can plug that
gigabit Ethernet into a fiber that can go to a destination up to 80km
away.

WiFi is sexy, but Ethernet (and Ethernet running over fibers) is what
runs most real dependable Internet services worldwide.  If you share
your Internet connection with your closest neighbor over Ethernet, via
a FreedomBox, you'll unclog your wireless spectrum, and improve the
reliability and privacy of both of your Internet connections.

	John

PS:  Wires and fibers are much harder to wiretap than radio signals.