[Freedombox-discuss] Need some help on UI - was: What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Mathieu Jourdan mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:39:27 UTC 2012

2012/5/25 Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com>:
> So, I always worry that we (as a list and project) might end up chasing
> ideals or hypotheticals ("wouldn't it be cool if...") instead of actual,
> deliverable, software.  To help prevent that, I'd like to hear from
> folks what you'd actually like to use the system for.  If enough people
> get behind any particular idea, we should try to make it a priority for
> the next hackfest.
>
> I want to use it as:
>
> - A Jabber Server.
>
> - A replacement for DropBox (a file storage / synchronization system).
>
> - A wiki/Evernote replacement (for all those crazy ideas I want to write
>  down somewhere).
>
> Anybody else?

Hi Nick, hi all,

I modified Plinth to make it closer to what I wish:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/UserInterface?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=FreedomBox_bootstrap_milk.png

Plinth in its current state aims power users. As you can see on the
screenshot, I think the main menu should point only to features of
everyday use. Mostly "simple" self-hosting services, but no scary
things like firewall.

What would be those features ?

Multimedia - files could be directly read by browser, downloaded, or
shared by p2p
* pictures
* audio
* videos

Documents - collaborative work on office files? :o)
* texts
* spreadsheets
* presentations

Organizer
* contacts
* agenda
* maps
* bookmarks
* banking

Publisher
* blog
* wiki

Messenger
* jabber
* e-mail

The screenshot shows I removed the link to the authentication page
from the navbar. I replaced it with a more elegant menu, which can be
used to log in and out, but also to switch to the "admin zone", which
holds the scary things.

Feel free to comment.

Problem is - I was asking help, remember - this admin zone doesn't
work. Actually, I have no idea of how to replace the existing navbar
entries by others. Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu