[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Mesh Network Simulator

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Wed Jun 20 17:28:23 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 07:10 AM, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I'd prefer not to write anything. :-)  If these technologies already
> exist I'd like to use them.  I've never heard of them being in
> existence.  I've always known WiFi to communicate with a WiFi router /
> hub to get to other WiFi devices, or one-to-one with another device.
> Never the ability to communicate with multiple devices as part of a
> mesh / grid.
>
> What I'd like is something this flexible:
> My wife and I are walking in mall with at least one other person every
> 40 feet or so.  We decide to separate and go shopping.  I walk this
> way, she walks that way.  Before long we're out of direct WiFi
> communication range to each other.  Now, if enough people there in the
> mall had WiFi-enabled devices running some mesh software, I'd like to
> be able to stay in contact with my wife as she moves about in her
> randome way, and as they all move about in their random ways.  The
> protocols involved would have to keep everyone abreast of where the
> devices are coming and going in this ever changing sea of WiFi meshes.
>
> If technology exists to do this, point me to it and show me the FAQ on
> how to install it on my FBX so I can begin using it today. :-)  I'd
> even be willing to write a slick GUI to make it easier for the next guy.

You wouldn't carry a fbx around a mall -- needs too much electricity.
you do carry a cell phone -- everyone carries a cell phone, and a mesh
protocol that opportunistically linked  wifi-enabled smart phones would
be cool.  There might be a few mall shops running wifi or fbxs that
could provide uplinks, while wandering shoppers w/ fbx-phone provided
extended coverage...

I don't think this would provide much bandwidth, though.

Kent