[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Mesh Network Simulator

Rick C. Hodgin foxmuldrster at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 18:55:52 UTC 2012

We won't carry FBXs around the mall because they use too much
electricity.  Agreed.  However, we all have cell phones.  Root a device,
install a custom ROM or a custom FBX app which leverages the WiFi
abilities of the device, and now we all have FBX conduits in cell phone
form able to transfer data back and forth on the FBX mesh/network, one
that's not part of a real FBX device, but one that is such in principle,
and one that also doesn't drain batteries too fast.

We have to look at what we're on about here:  The ability to have little
servers is one thing.  But the ability to convey information outside of
prying eyes is another.

Other people have interests in hooking things up to long-distance
communication forms, being able to do island-based social media, for
example, where various servers are connected to the traditional Internet
and distribute the load.  That's not my interest.

I want to be able to assemble an ad-hoc WiFi-based mesh network
anywhere, at any time, even if it comes up at 6:00pm sharp, is up for
two minutes, and goes down at 6:02pm.  I want that network to have
functioned in that short period of time to get the message out quickly
by distributing in this geographic manner.

I may be the only one who wants that ... and that's fine.  It is my
goal, and it's what I'm pursuing.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin