[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Mesh Network Simulator

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 21 06:26:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:25:12PM +0200, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> On 2012-06-20 at 14:55:52 -0400, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> > We have to look at what we're on about here:  The ability to have
> > little servers is one thing.  But the ability to convey information
> > outside of prying eyes is another.
>
> What's there to stop your average three-letter-agency from
> walking around mayor malls with a malicious phone that works
> as a node, but forwards any data it has passed on to the same
> secret quantum computer they use to read any other encrypted
> message on the internet?

You can just run an anonymizing layer on top of that.
A single network probe or even a few of them won't be
of much use in a large mesh.

> I hope I'm joking about the quantum computer, but I doubt
> that a system that requires connecting to the devices of random
> strangers, expecially one that is desinged to work with short
> lived connections, is going to be any more "outside of prying
> eyes" than the current internet.

Unlike the current Internet (don't know what the internet is
supposed to be) you cannot instrument everything to do traffic
analysis. That's a considerable advantage of end user owned
and operated infrastructure.