[Freedombox-discuss] Identity UI

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jun 25 05:59:32 UTC 2012

On 06/25/2012 12:14 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> You say at the top that you're not convinced that Tor is a requirement for
> the Freedombox, yet Tor solves all the problems addressed below that.
>
> Anyway, how do you solve the "magic routing problem" without it?

I'm not saying Freedombox should avoid Tor.  I agree, it seems like a
good fit.

But I'm not knowledgeable enough about all other possible cryptographic
mix networks or alternate routing proposals to rule all of them out and
state that Tor is unequivocally a requirement for anyone wanting to
implement the freedombox vision.

And even if i wanted to do that, i haven't contributed enough (anything,
really) to the concrete work of the project to presume to tell the
people actually doing the work what is or isn't a requirement.

Note also that Tor brings with it its own bit of centralized control, in
the form of the 8 directory authorities [0] (4 need to be compromised
for an adversary to gain control over your tor connection), but i think
that's an improvement over the status quo, at least.

Regards,

	--dkg

[0] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#KeyManagement