[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Mon Jun 25 08:45:40 UTC 2012

> On 06/24/2012 11:07 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
>> [Hostile] regimes [would] stomp rather firmly on
>> anyone they caught with a Box?

that's actually a valid point i think.

if the government is searching your house because they suspect you're
a dissident, or because they traced from your ISP to your house, then
you're at their hands already anyway, and there's not much that can be
done about that i think. but what we can try to be aware of is to make
sure a box does not by its mere physical presence fire off any alerts.

so people who ship plugservers with freedombox pre-installed should
try to make them look like normal routers. you could even provide the
stickers separately, one proud freedombox sticker, and then a set of
fake undercover stickers that say 'linksys' or 'vodafone'. :)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Stephen Michael Kellat
<skellat at fastmail.net> wrote:
> In a [hostile] regime, this is not a plug and pray platform
> that requires no training.

that's probably the appropriate conclusion. and i think we should not
underestimate the importance of freedombox in the US and also in
Europe. This is something we need. On all levels, and for the general
public. So i think it should be a tool aimed both at relatively-free
and not-so-free countries, at the same time, keeping in mind the
differences between the use cases, and providing documentation with it
to educate users.

Cheers,
Michiel