[Freedombox-discuss] Request for Comment: FreedomBuddy-VPN Setup

Ian Sullivan sullivan at freedomboxfoundation.org
Tue Jun 26 15:35:54 UTC 2012

On 06/26/2012 10:28 AM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> The only thing I don't understand about the flow is why Bob would have
> multiple FreedomBuddy services.

The FreedomBuddy system is built around a handshake protocol for
negotiating trusted communication routes. The reference implementation
that Nick has built uses Tor hidden services to carry the handshake
messages but it would be equally possible to use other network tools
like i2p, traditional DNS, gnunet, or something completely wacky like a
carrier pigeon network, to carry the same messages.

That, theoretically, would enable me to to give my friends multiple
contact routes to my freedombox that run over different networks, in
much the same way I currently have multiple email addresses. So the
multiple FreedomBuddy services are most likely to actually be a single
service that you can reach through multiple routes rather than different
boxes.

-Ian