[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Brian Drake Brian at drakewolf.net
Tue Jun 26 22:50:30 UTC 2012

I wanted to call out this one bit

The activists are the ones sending data with a tor fingerprint.  The
> Everybodies are the ones doing what they were already doing--
> going to Facebook and Twitter.
> There's no way out of this problem without educating people about
> privacy.

If these boxes are public 'charge-points' and mesh wifi antennas found in
every internet cafe, and every cafe and bar that wants to offer wifi; and
in the apartments that surround said cafe's; perhaps even plugged into a
car's power plug - they can just be the infrastructure of the internet
rather than some special - super secret revolutionary's tool.  The fact
that it could foment and foster a revolution because its tools just happen
to enable spying free communication... well that's just an awesome
side-effect.  No reason these shouldn't be Tor routers in addition to mesh
network routers.  Social networks with a small bit of local storage in
addition to AP.

People care - they just need an option that doesn't take away functionality
they already get with Facebook and twitter - something that augments and
works with them - that's much better.

Brian Drake
Austin Texas
512.850-6326