[Freedombox-discuss] Wireshark sniffing out of band

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:09:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM,  <freebirds at hushmail.com> wrote:
> AMT has been hacked.

Again, specific examples please.  Yes, I mean code.

> Ben, you mentioned wireshark can sniff the out of band traffic.
> Wireshark or snort on the computer being remotely accessed would
> not detect the traffic. Wireshark and snort would have to be
> running on another computer who's AMT or DASH was not being
> remotely controlled.

No kidding?!  That sounds suspiciously like what Ben and I have been saying.

> Rick Hodgin, thanks for recommending VIA processor. I have been
> researching the Samsung NC20 netbook which has a VIA Nano
> processor. However, VIA does not answer questions. Hence, I posted
> on their forum. Samsung NC20 was discontinued and I cannot find
> used ones online.

Sorry guys.  AMT/DASH are implementations of IPMI, a standard which
Via is also a proponent of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/adopterlist.htm

Guess you'll have to find secure computers elsewhere.

> Tim Schmidt wrote: "You're misinformed, or lying.  Please stop."
> regarding my post: "Dell automatically updates the BIOS of older
> Dell notebooks that didn't have Computrace preinstalled to now have
> Computrace."
>
> "Both Dell and Lenovo supply an auto-update program

Huh.  You think your problem might be with that program?  Because I
sure do.  You know you can remove it right?

--tim