[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Bob Mottram fuzzgun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:03:14 UTC 2012

On 29.06.2012 12:33, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>    1 They do not allow you to customize or skin how your personal
> space looks.
>    2 They do not let you share files and media.
>    3 They impose a lowest-common-denominator U.S. morality code on
> everyone.
>    4 They don't care about individual users, due to economies of
> scale.
>    5 They don't work if your Internet connection is down.
>    6 Their UI is a web browser or mobile App.
>    7 They are not hackable/programmable except in very limited ways.
>    8 They force upgrades on you even if you are happy with the status
> quo.
>    9 They ignore/waste your existing resources (1TB hard drives are
> common and cheap, but cloud services impose limits measured in
> gigabytes).

The main things which might be advantageous over centralised networks
are (2), (9) and maybe (3) depending upon where you live.  The other
points are likely to be less important to most people, or they could be
easily included within centralised systems.

So for example, if I take the amount of storage space on my home server
and see what it would cost to have an equivalent amount of storage in
"the cloud" then the economic case for hosting it myself is really
unarguable.