[Freedombox-discuss] Encrypted root file systems with Mandos

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Mon Mar 5 12:01:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:30:20 +0800, P S <pairspace at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about using a USB key for 2-factor auth?  A commercial home NAS has done something similar for a year or two (they are using the keys for remote auth):
>
>   http://www.seneschal.net/blog/index.php/2011/product-review-dane-elec-my-ditto-nas
>   http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/network-attached-storage-nas-/dane-elec-myditto-1tb-715660/review
>    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/nas/2010/07/26/dane-elec-myditto-1tb-40089640

That's interesting.  The box needs to be configured as a NAS and remote
access/sharing needs to happen too.  We've been thinking of this as
"dropbox-like functionality".  A USB key with all you need to connect to
the box (via Santiago) is a very good idea.  Does anybody want to
develop this further?

As for using it to decrypt the disk, I don't immediately see how it
would work.  If people flesh out a workable scenario on this list, we
can think about how to develop it.

Thanks!