[Freedombox-discuss] School intimidates girl to give up Facebook password

"Luis A. Morán Morales" moranmorales at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:03:14 UTC 2012

Hello, gang,

I think this article is germane to the discussion and it clearly
illustrates one of the many reasons that we need the FreedomBox:
protecting one's digital communications from unreasonable search. At
least all this girl got was intimidation and embarrassment from school
officials (I'm not saying such a thing is justifiable; it's deplorable
and deserves the strongest criticism possible). I shudder to think what
a girl —or an activist or anyone who authorities deem as persona non
grata— in a dictatorial regime would've been made to suffer in order to
give up her password.

The situation is particularly scary because I consider what they did to
that girl a form of "thought crime" punishment simply because she
"thought out loud" by posting on Facebook.

Up against the Wall! Should district be allowed to demand
middle-schooler's Facebook password?
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/13/10657012-up-against-the-wall-should-district-be-allowed-to-demand-middle-schoolers-facebook-password

I find it sad that not only do kids have to deal with bullying from
their peers, but now they also have to endure bullying from school
officials who want to (illegally, I'd argue) sift through their social
media accounts in the name of "maintaining order" in school. I also
found the prudishness of the parent complaining that the accused girl
was talking about sex with her daughter quite laughable. Twelve-year-old
kids talking about sex?! No, really?! Who would've thunk! Isn't
sexuality one of the main (perfectly normal and natural) physiological
preoccupations of Homo sapiens once we hit the raging hormone stage of
development known as puberty?

According school officials, the girl's parents gave permission for the
school to get her login info. Are there any parents on the list whose
children use Facebook and other social media? What are your thoughts?

And on a related note:

When a prospective employer wants your social media passwords
http://www.askamanager.org/2012/01/when-a-prospective-employer-wants-your-social-media-passwords.html

--
Luis A. Morán Morales
https://identi.ca/lamm

Use software that respects your freedom. Visit the Free Software Foundation to learn more.
http://www.fsf.org/