[Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth

Mathieu Jourdan mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:30:56 UTC 2012

Le 12 mars 2012 20:36, Sean O'Brien <me at seandiggity.com> a écrit :

> IMO, if this interface is gonna have mainstream appeal, JavaScript will
> have to be a part of it.

I agree.

>> - the footer should stick to the bottom of the screen when possible
>
> I disagree; we already have a menu sticking to the top, a footer would
> be too much.

I wasn't clear. I meant that, when you go from one page shorter than
the display area to an other one, then the footer may be shifted of a
couple of lines, while displaying exactly the same thing (except the
url). So, the point is more filling short pages with blank than
keeping the footer at the foreground.

>> - I like the icons but there are under non-free license :
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/
>
> Glyphicons Free is licensed under CC-BY:
> http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/base-css.html#icons
> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Indeed. It seems there is a mistake on http://glyphicons.com/ :  you
will see that the Creative Commons logo in the "glyphicons free*" box
points to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

Both the licenses page and the zip file tell the licence is actually
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported.

> ...they're also closely tied to bootstrap's CSS, so I think they should
> stay as long as that's the HTML5 framework we use.
>

>> - to me, everything under "router", "privacy" and "sharing" are
>> services, so the later should be replaced with something like
>> "identity management"
>
> I will likely put all of those things under the category of "Identity".
>  Some of the high-level categories I've thought of are:
>
> Share - Filesharing etc.
>
> Communicate - SIP configuration etc.
>
> Publish - Wiki, blog, whatever you want the world to see (and maybe
> others don't want you to post)
>
> Social - Social networking (I think http://newebe.org is a good
> candidate for this)
>
> Identity - Privacy config
>
> System - This will have adding/removing/disabling modules under it.
>
> Help - Documentation etc.
>
> ^ My plan right now is to treat Plinth's modules as "apps", each falling
> into one of those categories (or others if we think of them).

I would also add "organizer", for contacts, agenda, bookmarks, maps locations...

In my opinion, things like router or privacy should not be top level
categories but go under system or in an admin-specific menubar.
Firewall rules are not things most people worry about, while advanced
users may exceptionnaly configure a rule or two.