[Freedombox-discuss] Tools to speed up development on the freedombox

Stefan Cocora stefan.cocora at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 00:28:43 UTC 2012

root at debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 22:48:17 UTC 2012 x86_64
GNU/Linux
root at debian:~#
root at debian:~#
root at debian:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	testing
Codename:	wheezy

It is done, the wheezy vagrant VM has been finalized !

1. Prerequisites:

- Virtualbox 4.1.X lastest 4.1.10 would be preferable
- vagrant 1.0 - it comes as a deb
http://downloads.vagrantup.com/tags/v1.0.1 . You might also be able to
find it in the wheezy repos if I'm not mistaking.
- ruby, I have 1.8.7. I haven't had the time to try it on ruby 1.9, it
should work

2. Get the vagrant box and bring it up(the vagrant box will be
downloaded just the first time):

git clone --recursive git://github.com/stefancocora/freedombox_dev.git
cd freedombox_dev
vagrant up

2.1 When you're done hacking:
- from inside the VM you can access the external freedombox_dev
directory by going to /vagrant/
- save your work there
- either vagrant halt to shut down the VM or vagrant destroy to remove
the VM completely and be left just with the code in freebombox_dev/ .
More info in the docs below.

3. Docs : http://vagrantup.com/docs/getting-started/index.html

	I've put in some puppet code to make sure we have some default packages
and a custom motd. We can add much more to this. Puppet ensures we all
have the same base VM.

	Ideally there would be a continuous integration server running Jenkins
hooked to all git repositories for plint/privoxy/etc. After a commit on
one of these repos Jenkins would fetch the code, run any available
tests, build the .deb file and put it in an apt accessible repository.
	Then puppet would be able to install and manage it. Puppet works on top
of a distro's package manager, it is not meant to deal cleanly with
make/make install.
	This approach would speed up considerably the cycle of commit code -
test new code - feed the results back - start over, some would say agile
development. I like to keep it simple by illustrating the cycle.
	For the moment I don't have the resources necessary for a Jenkins
continuous integration server. If anyone can provide a VM for this I can
help to install/configure it.

PS: I've used github to host the vagrant box(you'll see it the first
time you do vagrant up), if it becomes unmanageable I can try minus.com.
Sourceforge failed to let me register in all the browsers that I've
tried :( .

Stefan