[Freedombox-discuss] Environmental limit how can we use this hardware?

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 02:10:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

I know most of you out there are software people but considering the
temperature limits of the Dream Plug 2 I don't understand how we can
support such a piece of hardware.  The US distributor advised me the range
is 0 to 40 Centigrade, which is 32 to 104 Fahrenheit.  As for putting this
in a box without control over the temperature you are asking for failure.

Even those in NYC see temps below freezing and certainly close to or above
100 during summer.  Here we usually don't freeze but it gets VERY hot here,
I've experienced 122 degrees.  I can't see how we can use a hardware
component, with what we want it to do, that has such a limited temperature
range.  Maybe the people who make the Dream Plug need to know this, but I'm
not investing in hardware I can't use.

I have experience in both hardware and software and know you would be
sticking your neck out on something that won't tolerate the local temps
without some kind of heat or cooling, which of course increases the price
of the installation.  It seems that whomever thought this out didn't look
very far.

Am I blowing steam or do you people understand what I'm talking about???

Jack