[Freedombox-discuss] Next step in hardware?

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Fri May 18 23:53:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, 17 May 2012 08:29:02 -0700, Jack Wilborn <jkwilborn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Read the information and was wondering if anyone has thought about
> creating our own hardware.  If people were ok with soldering it
> together, maybe it's not too far out to think about a custom design to
> house the product?  We could make a design that would incorporate
> things like higher temps, stronger shielding or other problems we have
> found like the running temperature.  Just a thought, because we could
> customize it have what is needed to do what the Freedom Box was wanted
> without going out to some other hardware.  Just a thought.

I think the biggest points against selling our own hardware are the
start-up costs for the hardware itself.  A lesson in this is the
OpenPandora project (openpandora.org), which, four years later, is still
trying to fulfill its original 4,000 pre-orders.

However, that's very different than designing our own open hardware and
releasing the spec, which is what I think you were getting at, Jack.  I
like that, though I'm woefully under-qualified in that area to help with
it.  I'm definitely no hardware man.  Do you have any hardware or
designs in mind?