[Freedombox-discuss] Announcing Santiago Release Candidate 1

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed May 23 20:56:39 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 11:10 AM, Michael Rogers wrote:
> Agreed. I'm not trying to argue for or against making
> indistinguishability of FreedomBox traffic from other TLS traffic a
> design goal; all I'm trying to do is to point out that if it's a
> design goal, the Monkeysphere proposal isn't suitable.

fwiw, i agree with this assessment.  TLS itself is also probably not a
suitable transport layer if we want to offer true indistinguishability,
given the amount of information leaked in the handshake.

OTOH, there's no other heavily-used protocol on the 'net today that
avoids this leakage, so it's going to be hard to hide traffic this way.

Anyone who cares about being able to make traffic
fully-indistinguishable to eavesdroppers needs to be pushing for
*regular* traffic to be comparably obscured, so that things like FB
actually have something they can blend into.

Regards,

	--dkg