[Freedombox-discuss] What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Isaac Wilder isaac_lists at freenetworkmovement.org
Thu May 24 23:41:34 UTC 2012

Nick,
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm intending to dive into a fbx sprint
over the next couple of weeks, so this is really good timing. My first
priority is to keep hacking on a distributed key=>address mechanism to
pair with your Santiago implementation. After that, these are the first
applications I would want to plug in:

-Jabber Server
-Plans
-Dropbox
-wiki (etherpad?)

All self explanatory, except for 'plans'.
What I mean here is something akin to the finger function from unix.
Each of us would have a page that would we could update with hypertext
as we please, you could add others to an 'autofinger' list that would
alert you when they had updated their 'plan'. This is something that we
did at Grinnell College, and it's by far the most pleasant form of
social networking that I've ever experienced. Should be straightforward
to implement is a fully decentralized way. I know that this strays from
the point a bit, but I just want to say that if we hope to build
decentralized social network services that compete, we've got to be
inventive. This is one of the main problems that I see with diaspora.
Sure, it's federated, but it basically just tried to emulate Facebook's
UX. We can do better, and I think that means stripping things down to
their rudiments.

I think that those four would be a really good, valuable start, and are
highly tractable. A ZRTP/SIP application would be my fifth addition, but
I think that we can hold off on that for the time being.

imw