[Freedombox-discuss] Software as Data, Transformation as a Service

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:40:15 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 18:44, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think in the case of freedombox it would be desireable to have not
> only a
> > web identity but to tie it to GPG, which is something I've already done
> > some work on.
>
> Would you mind describing that a bit?  FBuddy [0] is designed to make
> (PGP-) signed/encrypted location statements available, over any service
> you're using.  The hard part is, of course, writing the service
> connectors and tying those statements back into the system.  Could you
> take a look at FBuddy's HTTP service connector and OpenVPN integration
> to see how the system would work with other connectors and services,
> when you get a chance?

Hi Nick

Currently looking at 3 areas.

1. Converting GPG keys with X.509  using bouncy castle (have some rough
code working)

2. Displaying your GPG key data via a web page, e.g. fingerprint, hex_id,
PEM, modulus, exponent (we can do this now)

3. Crypto in the browser, for use to encrypt/decrypt maybe sign etc (saw an
impressive demo from Mozilla last week)

The general idea is to translate some of the features of GPG to the web
stack so it an be used for similar purposes in a web context

I took a quick look at giorious but if it wasnt that easy to work out all
the details in theory it would be nice to use the same master key in
different contexts, and provide methods to revoke etc.