[Freedombox-discuss] ui development guideline

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 04:05:34 UTC 2012

Hello FBX,
     I'd like to suggest a ui dev guideline to keep ui devs connected with the
user community.  It's obviously for future use, but I thought I'd post it while
it was on my mind.  I call it the "Grandmother Guideline":

Every stable release meant for general use must be
accompanied by a public release of a video of someone's grandmother
using the FBX.  She must not have used the FBX UI before, and she must:
a) plug in the FBX
b) bring up the UI on her own computer to configure the FBX (possibly using
directions that were emailed to her or printed out for her)[1]

c) finish the configuration successfully
d) send a message to a grandchild located somewhere outside the LAN.  The
message can be anything and use any software that she can get running on the
FBX.

If no grandmother can achieve these steps then it is not a stable release.

UI Maturity:

When someone's grandmother can send a message to her grandchild that
contains a webcam video of herself installing the FBX, the UI has reached

maturity.

FBX Maturity:
When someone's grandmother can send a message to her grandchild that
contains a video of herself installing a new FBX that was recorded using her
old FBX, the FBX has reached maturity.

-Jonathan

[1] These directions must be accessible to the public, and they may differ only
in the suppression of private user information-- for example, the grandchild may write
"type foo at bar.com" and the online document may substitute "type [your
email address]".