[Freedombox-discuss] corrupt FS inside image ? - Was: Re: FreedomBox Unstable Image 2012.1021 Available

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Sat Nov 10 23:38:36 UTC 2012

Hi.

"Nick M. Daly" <nick.m.daly at gmail.com>
writes:

> It works fine over losetup and mount.
>
> # losetup /dev/loop0 freedombox-unstable_2012.1021_dreamplug-armel-card.img
>
> # mount /dev/loop0 -t ext2 -o offset=135266304 /media/freedom/
>
> The offset is 128 MiB + 1 MiB (in bytes), which is the start of the ext2
> partition.  To mount the 128 MiB FAT partition, specify an offset of 1
> MiB.
>
> # umount /media/freedom/
>
> # losetup -d /dev/loop0

Thx. Added a pointer to your mail into
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/DreamPlug/Images.

>> Yeah, that's the point... there doesn't seem to be some documentation
>> about which image works for which hardware in the (debian) wiki,
>> unfortunately.
>
> Feel free to start one.  I'm trying to finish other work this weekend.
> The information you need follows:
>
> There are at least two known versions of DreamPlugs that are somewhat
> incompatible (the wireless hardware is different, IIRC).  I do not
> believe these hardware differences affect whether the DreamPlug boots.
>
> You can tell which DreamPlug version you have by reading the serial
> number.
>
> - DS2-1112 :: Initial DreamPlug release.
> - DS2-1113 :: Updated DreamPlug release.
>
> If other DreamPlug series exist, they are unknown to me, so I can't
> speak to their ability to boot images.

Added these details in http://wiki.debian.org/DreamPlugTesting (they're
more about the HW than about FreedomBox, so preferred to add to that one
page).

> The uboot version (and its configuration) as delivered on the plug
> affect what images it can boot.  Vendors configure uboot differently, so
> all I can speak to is DreamPlugs delivered by GlobalScale, because those
> are the only ones I've had experience with.  In other words, image
> booting incompatibilities are related to the uboot version and
> configuration on the plug itself.
>
> - Images before the 0.1 release boot smoothly on stock DreamPlugs from
>   GlobalScale.
>
> - Images on or after the 0.1 release (2012-0820) need the 2012.04.01 or
>   later version of uboot from Debian Wheezy.
>
> Here're the tables you're looking for.  Please put them on the wiki.
>
> | Vendor      | Model    | uboot   |
> |-------------+----------+---------|
> | GlobalScale | DS2-1112 | Default |
> | GlobalScale | DS2-1113 | Default |
>
> | uboot Vendor | uboot Version       | Image Versions    |
> |--------------+---------------------+-------------------|
> | GlobalScale  | The Default (?)     | Pre 0.1           |
> | Debian       | 2012.04.01 (Wheezy) | Pre 0.1, Post 0.1 |
>
> Bdale has not, to my knowledge, published any images himself.  The
> weekly images considered "Pre 0.1" are the 2012.0819 image and prior
> images.  The "Post 0.1" images are the 2012.0903 image and later images.

OK, many thanks.

I've added these details to
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/DreamPlug/Images this time.

... together with a bunch of wiki "gardening", which I hope won't break
too many links, and will make the content more logical.

Many thanks for your response.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER