[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox and Bitcoin (and the petition)

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Nov 12 12:01:11 UTC 2012

On 12/11/12 12:43, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:01:31PM +0100, Natanael Arndt wrote:
>> I don't know why BitCoin or Money in general should be somehow
>> integrated in the FreedomBox project? Furthermore I think BitCoin is no
>> good concept e.g. because of the huge amount of electricity just burned
>
> You don't need to mint in order to do BTC transfers.

>> By the whay: that is,what I first thought BitCoin would be when I heard
>> of it ;-)
>
> If you're trying to maximize the utility of FBX, you need
> to put on it what people are actually using. Not what you
> think they *should* be using, and what doesn't even exist
> yet.

It depends on the aims of FreedomBox - how many privacy and social
problems does it aim to solve?

Is it fair to give people a tool for free communications, while they
continue using electronic payment cards for every small purchase of a
coffee or train ticket?  Beyond that personal privacy, should FreedomBox
try to help with society's bigger problems of the day, or  make
FreedomBox more desirable to people by trying to address such problems?

I don't have enough information to give an answer for the concept in
general, or to specifically say that BTC is the silver bullet - but it
seems that these concepts do merit some analysis.