[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox and Bitcoin (and the petition)

Natanael Arndt arndtn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:43:19 UTC 2012

Am 12.11.2012 13:29, schrieb Eugen Leitl:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 01:15:53PM +0100, Natanael Arndt wrote:
>
>> I don't say it is impossible to run a BitCoin client on a FreedomBox but
>> I say the systembehind is not good, because it rewards people for
>> burning electricity to get the virtual currency, that's not better than
> At the current difficulty only FPGA and ASIC based systems might
> or might not be able to mint cost-effectively. You will not be
> able to mint with an embedded client. You don't need to be able
> to mint in order to use a currency. It is easy to buy BitCoin
> for fiat currency, and it is sufficiently frangible to provide
> sufficient liquidity even with very few coins. Transactions
> fees are completely optional.
>
>> mining gold by using bad chemicals to extract the gold.
> You're welcome to build an alternative system which doesn't
> have BitCoin's problems, and that people will adopt. It is
> a much harder problem than most people realize.
>
>>> You're trying to reinvent a square wheel. Just use BTC.
>> I think a project like FreedomBox should better motivate people to help
>> each other by sharing resources rather than supporting a system where
>> people are increasing there computing power to be the one who gets the $.
> You're not well-informed about practical realities BitCoin in late 2012.
> The minting ship has sailed a long time ago.
>
>> An why is this weal square and which one is round?
>>> If you're trying to maximize the utility of FBX, you need
>>> to put on it what people are actually using. Not what you
>>> think they *should* be using, and what doesn't even exist
>>> yet.
>> Are people using BitCoins? Are people using pear to pear communication?
> Of course people are using BitCoin (e.g. a friend paid
> me with BTC for a beer, transaction was instant on 3G from
> a mobile phone to a Nexus 7, tethered via 3G).
> BitCoin happens to be P2P.
>
>> We are trying to make something new and better!
> A laudable notion, but where is your system? And what are the
> incentives for people who already use BTC transactions to also
> adopt your system? You will need some significant advantages
> to overcome the network effect, which will only get stronger
> over time.

I don't say I have a system in place but I think a system where you get
e.g. 1 FreedomCoin for letting somebody use 1 GB of your storage for 1
hour of for letting somebody use your CPU for some amount of time would
reward people for helping others to do useful work. And then you could
use your FCs to use computing power when you need it or go to the bakery
and buy some bread while the baker can pay his web-page hosting with
those FCs.

Nate