[Freedombox-discuss] Keep or Remove the "Anonymous Contribution" Page?

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:53:08 UTC 2012

Hi folks, wondering your thoughts on this.  A week or two ago, I wrote
up a basics-of-contributing-anonymously wiki page, which tries to ask
people to meet in person whenever possible, and also tries to educate
people about risks they should be aware of if they want to contribute
over the Internet.

However, I'm not sure about it, in a couple of senses.  Please let me
know what you think about these questions:

0. Licensing questions: Copyright and anonymity are somewhat opposed.
   If an anonymous author wants to retain copyright over its code, then
   someone inside the project must be able to communicate with that
   author, potentially unmasking it.  The easy solution would be to turn
   copyright over to the FBF, but I have no idea about folks' opinions
   on (non-SSL) CAs.

1. Should the anonymous-contribution page say "don't do it!" ?  Strong
   anonymity in the long term is nearly impossible, so maybe we're just
   giving folks the wrong set of expectations.

2. If the page encourages anonymous contribution, should it give
   specific instructions, or just general guidelines?  If you try to
   become anonymous, the fact that you've just downloaded the Tor
   Browser Bundle itself is a flag.

3. If the page gives discrete instructions, what discrete instructions
   should it provide?

So far, I've punted on question 0 (getting at least 60 - 70 yards on
that one), said no on question 1, and "general instructions" for
question 2.  I doubt those are the right answers.

If nothing else, we should probably add something about "take the
battery out of your cellphone before meeting someone in person."
Although, disappearing off the network is itself a flag (if a weak one).

Thanks for your time,
Nick