[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:15:05 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-16 at 14:22:07 +0000, Michael Rogers wrote:
> > Your IMAP server should be on your FBX.
> Yes, in an ideal world we'd all run our own mail servers. In the real
> world it's not possible to run a mail server on a home broadband
> connection,

actually, you *can* run an *IMAP* server at home, it's the *SMTP*
part that is problematic.

Actually, if your home connection has a public IP, you can
use some kind of dynamic DNS provider, and you have a friend with
a computer that can act as a backup MX, you should be also
able to run a receiving SMTP server, the real problem is that
mail *sent* from home connections isn't accepted by most SMTP
servers around the world, because of spam blacklists.

Even if you decide to use somebody else's service for email,
it is perfectly feasible to download it to an home server
via POP3/IMAP, delete it immediately from the 3rd party provider
and serve it via IMAP to the local network, or to a locally running
webmail.

Of course it is not a solution against illicit eavesdropping, but
it will mean that you won't have mail that is older than 180 days,
or younger, but read on a 3rd party service that can be easily
subpoenad.
Mostly, it will put the survival of your email archive in your hands,
rather than keeping it under the goodwill of some provider that
could decide to stop offering its services.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''