[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 17:42:09 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

That might be the easiest way for a user to get up and running with
reliable service.  Just keep in mind that the metadata is still very much
subject to collection and mining-- who you are sending to, when you are
sending, subject line?, and probably a lot else which is stored on the server
after being deleted for a fairly long period according to many TOS I've
seen.

In the case of Paula Broadwell, owning a FBX with such a setup would have
changed nothing at all: the recipient of some of her messages started
the investigation, metadata identified her as the sender, and the content of
her email/documents was revealed by physically removing her machine.

If she had used Tor, or a FBX that goes through Tor or some other anonymizing
overlay, identifying the sender by metadata would have been much more difficult.

-Jonathan