[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 20 12:06:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:19:34PM -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I'm not sure how to get from a to b, where a is no FBX and b is FBX as
> described in those sentences I quoted from the website.  If it's the
> case that (spam-free, non-blacklisted) email in its current incarnation
> can be done without configuration hell, then "plug box in, click

The only way you can put up smarthost/relay MTA is if we have volunteers
who run on static IP with right reverse DNS providing services to the
community (and get published in RBLs for their pain, as there *will*
be compromised machines and malicious people using FBX for their own
purposes, and that list is being periodically pushed to all FBX.
That by itself is problematic. If you need bugfixes, you need
automatic updates. But automatic fixes, whether poorly tested,
or malicious, can brick your entire network. So you will need
user prompting there (by captive portal?), at the very least.

Again, I would forget it, and only expect (reliable) delivery on your own
darknet, available as either raw IPv6 addresses of DNS pseudo domains (like
.fbx). This can coexist with the greater Internet. Just don't expect that
your email egressing to the Internet will be delivered. Becase most
likely it will bounce, or be silently blackholed.

> some buttons, email your friends" may be a very nice feature on the
> way from a to b.  I'd use it!

...snip