[Freedombox-discuss] apt-get install fbx

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Nov 20 18:27:24 UTC 2012

Quoting JOSEFSSON Erik (2012-11-14 18:55:19)
> Just a very general question: What does it take (in detailed steps) to
> get from where fbx is today to apt-get install fbx?

FreedomBox (arguably) exist today in version 0.1 (and some additional
progress beyond that), but not in a long-term maintainable form which
(arguably) means it must be fully and officially part of Debian.

A crude answer to your question: It takes a single (rather large) step
of someone converting freedom-maker into a Debian package.

Here's a transcript from my crystal ball (listed like Changelog of an
actual package, timestamps and author deliberately left out):

freedombox 1.0.0

  * First user-friendly release: "Boring Box".
    + Provides Jabber service.
    + Provides privacy-oriented web proxy service.
    + Usable by non-technical users.
    + Works on DHCP-administered and IPv4ALL networks
      (without voodoo: does *not* penetrate firewalls).

freedombox 0.4.0

  * Depend on recent privoxy. Enable paranoid setting by
    default. Thanks to James Vasile for his work on getting
    his forked package merged upstream to official Debian
    package.
  * Fix adapt and reload ejabberd when network changes
    (e.g. switching between IPv4ALL and DHCP-provided ip).

freedombox 0.3.3

  * More bugfixes to idempotency of postinst script.

freedombox 0.3.2

  * Fix install routines when reinstalling package while
    config files exist (e.g. from older non-purged install).

freedombox 0.3.1

  * Setup Jabber service during install, Thanks to ejabberd
    and avahi package maintainers for improving flexibility
    of (re)configuring those package automatically.
  * Simplify jabber example script to only setup web client.

freedombox 0.3.0

  * Depend on avahi-autoipd, ejabberd, apache2 and jwchat.
  * Add example script to setup Jabber service reachable
    over Multicast DNS, both from native XMPP clients and
    included web client.

freedombox 0.2.1

  * Bugfix release for included example scripts.

freedombox 0.2.0

  * Initial official packaging release.
  * Uses Semantic Versioning (see <http://semver.org/>)
    (minor version 1 skipped to avoid confusion with prior
    Foundation non-package release).
  * Virtually empty package: intended to depend on needed code
    projects, but these first need to be packaged themselves.
  * Includes example scripts for the local user to manually
    download and compile those code projects not yet packaged.

Hopefully there will be even more releases before 1.0.0 to include more
of the work currently shipped by Nick Daly's non-package snapshots.

Then after the 1.0.0 release there will probably be parallel work on
both bugfix 1.0.x releases and feature-extending 1.x.y releases,
eventually stabilizing, and in a(n even brighter) future the 2.0.0
release which might offer the first non-boring stuff...