[Freedombox-discuss] virtualbox image

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 02:10:45 UTC 2012

Jonathan Wilkes writes:

> Hello,
>      So I've got the virtualbox image booting.  What's the next step
> to bringing up the browser interface (presumably on the host machine)?

:)

Hi Jonathan, thanks for testing!

The weekly image I'm building right now makes this a bit easier, but
you'll want to do the following:

1. Get your IP Address:

     [ log in as the root user, with password "freedom" ]
     # ifconfig

   That'll tell you your box's IP address.  You'll need that later.

2. Build Plinth:

     [ log in as the fbx user, with password "frdm" ]
     $ cd ~/
     $ su -c "apt-get install python-bjsonrpc python-augeas"
     $ make

3. Edit the cfg.py file, replacing the host = "127.0.0.1" line with:

      host = "0.0.0.0"

   That makes the web UI available to any computer.

4. Now, try running the UI:

     $ ./plinth.py

   Now, on the host machine, point your browser to:

     $ http://(your box's ip address):8000

It should show you the UI.

If you get some error about file permissions, do this as root:

   # chown -R fbx:fbx /home/fbx

Nick