[Freedombox-discuss] ***SPAM*** Re: deb list for what is being included in freedom box

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Oct 23 13:13:18 UTC 2012

On 12-10-22 at 04:36pm, Robert Teeter wrote:
> The Debian version for Raspberry PI has hardware floating point
> support in their kernel.

I recommend to avoid confusion by calling it "...Debian-like..." as it
is not Debian:

  * I make .deb packages at http://debian.jones.dk/ but that does not
    make those packages "Debian".
  * Raspbian which I suspect you are referring to makes .deb packages
    but that does not make them "Debian" either.

Debian supports ARMv5 and ARMv7.  Raspbian is, I believe, a
recompilation targeted ARMv6 (which includes "hardfloat" but not other
features only in ARMv7).

It seems Raspbian intends to stay close to Debian on the source level,
and simply recompile everything optimized for that ARMv6 hardware.

From bugreports I know concretely, however, that nodejs apparently is
part of the "wheezy" suite on Raspbian whereas it has not been approved
for wheezy on Debian.  Raspbian is therefore *not* strictly Debian
recompiled, but also changes to available code, which may also mean
differently linked libraries or other surprises that may end up
affecting security or other high-level stuff!