[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora becoming a community project

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Sep 1 07:34:44 UTC 2012

On 12-08-31 at 04:06pm, Nick Daly wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > On 12-08-30 at 07:47am, Nick Daly wrote:

> >> What do you need?  If James hasn't provided parameters, I've found
> >> that you're pretty free to fill in the details (for better or
> >> worse). Getting it *in* to Debian, to get those eyes on it, seems
> >> to be what we need at this point.  My sense is that if we can get a
> >> copy into Debian, updating that with more featureful branches will
> >> be easier.
> >
> > What I need is someone I can help package it.  Someone committed not
> > only to "getting it *in* to Debian" but also *maintaining it in
> > Debian.
>
> If nobody else is interested, I'd be happy to.  I've been poking
> around in Plinth just about as long as anybody.

That'd be great!

> I think I'd have to go through the DD process, though, and that might
> take a little while.
>  That'd also help me get FreedomBuddy in, and that, too, would be a
> good thing.

It is a common misunderstanding that you need to be official member of
Debian to be directly involved in maintaining official packages.

It is only required that _someone_ is official member of Debian for each
package - and alternatives to that being yourself there are also finding
a sponsor or (my favorite) teaming up with someone.

This also means, that if we - Nick and I, start this packaging and
someone appears later wanting to help maintain "our" package(s), then we
can simply expand our team (as long as we agree on working style and
generally like working together, of course).

So I suggest not waiting for others to step up: Just get hold of me on
IRC when you feel like taking a stab at it - or email me directly if you
prefer doing it that way.

If there is some mailinglist suitable for discussing this I am all for
doing it there instead - just think it would be too noisy for this list.