[Freedombox-discuss] uap8xxx.ko kernel module

bnewbold at robocracy.org bnewbold at robocracy.org
Fri Sep 7 02:12:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Nick Daly wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Nick Hardiman
> <nick at internetmachines.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Is it a kind of update on this 2010 post for a guruplug?
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/05/msg00081.html

yes.

>>> As noted in the LICENSE file, this is all very dirty and
>>> potentially infringant and would make kernel developers moan and
>>> pull their hair out, though the libertas_uap files are indicated as
>>> GPL.
>
> This worries me though.  I'll test it out, but I don't think I'll
> merge it till we have the license stuff figured out.  I'm not good
> enough at managing my branches (always forgetting which one I'm on),
> and a lot of folks (including me) would be kind of horrified to find
> ambiguous code in the core.

To be honest, my motivation was limited to finding out if others on this
list had to go through the same steps, or if I was just having a problem
with my particular version of the DreamPlug. Including these patches in
the weekly image isn't something i'd even think about until I had
confirmation from somebody with more experience (B'Dale? James?) that it
was necessary.

> Can you source the URLs in the LICENSE file?  Your sentence just kind
> of trails off:
>
>    The ./firmware/mrvl/ files were floating around on my DreamPlug
>    and probably came from

Sorry, I seem to have a habit of that ;)

Added this URL:
http://www.spinifex.com.au/plugs/downloads/dreamplug/mrvl_uap.tar.gz

--bryan