[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Unstable Image 2012.0909 Available

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 03:21:39 UTC 2012

Hi folks, welcome to the twelfth weekly FreedomBox test image and
progress report.

The image is available at:

    https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker

    https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/freedombox-unstable.torrent

    https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/freedombox-unstable.tar.bz2

Today's image was produced with:

    $ make weekly-image

These images include several FreedomBox-related projects.  The changes
are changes made by project contributors in the last week that have made
it into the test image.  The outstanding TODOs are the changes needed
before the beta-release is complete.  If you'd like to contribute in any
way, fork and send me a pull request.

* Issues

  - The DreamPlug won't boot the image in either the microSD or USB
    format.  The VirtualBox image boots fine.  We suspect that it's due
    to a firmware/kernel incompatibility.  Try flashing your firmware by
    following the "Updating DreamPlug's U-Boot" instructions from:

    http://piratepad.net/jr2Klz2RHb

    I haven't yet had a chance to verify this, though, so please give it
    a test if you're able.  I'll try to do that later this week.

* Changes

  - The image now includes Project-Publish, which lets you keep a
    project's issues and its wiki in the source repository.  You can see
    it in action at:

    http://betweennowhere.net/code/freedombuddy

  - There were a lot of other semi-related changes this week.  If you'd
    like to read all of them, check out: betweennowhere.net/blog

* Outstanding TODOs

** Freedom Maker: https://github.com/nickdaly/freedom-maker

   The FBX image build tool.

   - The setup process generates GPG keys for user.
   - Setup generates GPG and SSL keys for the box itself.

** Plinth: https://github.com/nickdaly/plinth

   The UI layer.

   - Turn DHCP (for clients) on/off through Plinth
   - Select DHCP or Static IP in Plinth
   - Integrate basic OpenVPN settings into Plinth
   - Integrate Dnsmasq into Plinth
   - Integrate FreedomBuddy into Plinth.
   - Hook FreedomBuddy into SSH.
   - Add more OpenVPN FreedomBuddy setup instructions.

** FreedomBox Privoxy: https://github.com/jvasile/freedombox-privoxy

   A privacy-focused web-proxy.

   - Privoxy should use the released HTTPS Everywhere regexp ruleset.
   - Add enabling and disabling Privoxy to the Plinth UI.

** FreedomBuddy: https://gitorious.org/freedombuddy/freedombuddy

   A resilient communication tool.

   - Build an SSH-VPN connector.
   - Fix Outstanding FIXMEs