[Freedombox-discuss] freedombox.img with qemu

tornow at riseup.net tornow at riseup.net
Sat Sep 15 02:18:47 UTC 2012

Hello all,
i am searching for a few days for any way to test the freedombox.img:
http://download.freedomboxfoundation.org/torrents/freedombox-kickstarter-release.img.xz.torrent
announced here:
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/code/
without owning a dreamplug.

I could think of qemu or raspberry pi and of VirtualBox (but i don't
think VirtualBox does arm).

Searching for tutorials how to emulate arm with qemu are rare and also
quite old:
https://pagekite.net/community/DebianFB/bertagaz/README.20101011.txt
http://www.aurel32.net/info/debian_arm_qemu
but basically tell me to use:
 $ qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-versatile
 -initrd initrd.gz -hda hda.img -append "root=/dev/ram"
but i don't know what to use for "-kernel" and "-initrd".

I also found some info at the raspberry pi wiki, but it didn't help me
in solving the problem:
http://elinux.org/Qemu

thanks for any hints.
Markus