[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox VoIP/IM/Comms (SIP and Jabber), Jingle Nodes, SIP RELOAD

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Sep 19 21:31:22 UTC 2012

+++ Ramana Kumar [2012-09-19 15:37 +0100]:
>    On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Daniel Pocock <[1]daniel at pocock.com.au>
>    wrote:

>      On 19/09/12 14:32, Ramana Kumar wrote:
>      > This page might be mildly relevant:
>      > [2]http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Skype_Replacement
>
>      I heard about FSF Europe running a Skype Replacement event on the
>      weekend, testing the different clients against each other.  Their goal
>      is very general, moving people from closed source to Free software
>
>    Any more info about this? Did they find anything that worked?

Results here: etherpad.fsfe.org/RX7S6q45gQ

The testing was of a fairly basic nature - install stuff, get free
SIP or jabber account (or use existing one) and see if you can
talk/chat/video with people. representative of 'normal people' trying
this out. The SIP/XMPP account/server used was not recorded in most
cases, which I think is insuficient for repeatable tests.

More combinations failed than worked, but some worked. Most of my
connecitons failed even though I have used my SIP hardphone
successfully for years (seemed to be local DNS failure), and my n900
SIP successfully in many other contexts.

It was a worthwhile start but I think there is enormous scope for
further such sessions, including using servers under our control.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/