[Freedombox-discuss] privacy implications of VoIP/chat support

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Sun Sep 23 18:13:37 UTC 2012

Just using TLS and SRTP for SIP and Jabber gives encryption and usually
helps prevent the government monitoring the content of your phone calls.

However, it doesn't automatically give privacy, as a lot of information
is still shared with the person calling you (or the person you are calling).

Before developing any full specification for FreedomBox VoIP, I think it
is useful to reflect on the privacy implications, so I've created a page
about it here:

   http://www.opentelecoms.org/a-deeper-look-at-voip-privacy

I'll continue adding to the page (e.g. to cover Jabber and RTP weaknesses)

However, at the end of the day, 100% privacy would probably mean no
communication takes place at all.  So the real debate is about how to
hack these protocols to work in a reasonable way, rather than throwing
them out the window completely.  I've already put some suggestions at
the bottom of that page.