[Freedombox-discuss] is there a guide to setting up freedbombox on ubuntu

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:34:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if there's a (maybe unofficial) guide someplace, to
> setting up freedombox on ubuntu?

None that I know of, at the moment.  It should be fairly easy, and
this should be added to the freedom-maker repository too, before too
long (or Freedom-Maker's config should be broken out into specific
packages?).

See mk_dreamplug_rootfs [0] for details.  The important bits are (0)
installing packages, (1) copying service configurations to the running
system, (2) creating the user, and (3) installing the projects:

MAKE SURE YOU SET ANY ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES APPROPRIATELY.  THIS IS
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART AND SHOULD PROBABLY BE DONE IN A VM.

0. See the packages line in the multistrap config [1]:

   : apt-get install base-files netbase openssh-server zile wget \
     iproute net-tools hostname module-init-tools wget resolvconf \
     udev isc-dhcp-client ifupdown rsyslog devio initramfs-tools \
     uboot-mkimage parted dosfstools apt jwchat prosody \
     liblua5.1-sec1 monkeysphere iputils-ping haveged python \
     python-cheetah pandoc python-simplejson make isc-dhcp-server \
     dialog locales-all uaputl dnsmasq iptables logrotate \
     python-beautifulsoup python-lxml

1. This is the hard part.  Manually merge the configurations you need
   from the source directory into your existing system.  See the
   source directory for the file configurations we customize [2].  We
   can be lazy in mk_dreamplug_rootfs:

   : rsync -av $source/ $target

2. Create the user:

   : adduser fbx

3. Install projects:

   : # add projects to the image to make it a useful FreedomBox.
   : bin/projects
   :
   : # cleanup and finalize the image so it boots correctly.
   : bin/finalize

HTH,
Nick

0: https://github.com/NickDaly/freedom-maker/blob/master/mk_dreamplug_rootfs